I’m the type of guy who remembers a lot of dates (easy ladies, I’m married) and thus am always mindful of the calendar and what I was doing in years past. This week marks one year since I left Phoenix to take a new job in Greenville, SC… In the last 12 months, so much has happened:
* Lived alone for several months while my family waited for our home to sell in Phoenix
* Celebrated Christmas & New Years in a state other than Arizona for the first time since 1971
* Finally sold the house in Phoenix after five months on the market for much less than we hoped for
* Bought a beautiful home in Greenville the day after the house in Phoenix closed. I was without a mortgage for about 12 whole hours
* Paid off my car. I will drive that Camry until the wheels fall off
* Gave a young man permission to ask my daughter for her hand in marriage
* Lost my 96 year old grandmother and got to attend her funeral in North Dakota where I saw some extended family members for the fist time in 25 years
* Resigned the position that I moved here to take
* Accepted a new position in Charleston, SC and started commuting back and forth as my schedule allows
* Put the house we just bought back on the market and are now trying desperately to sell it so that my family can join me in Charleston. (Interested? Drop me a line)
These are obviously just the bigger points and I feel like my head is spinning! Early last year, I told God and my wife that I was ready for an adventure… well, I guess it’s one of those times when you realize that you should be careful what you wish for! I’d be lying if I said that I didn’t have some doubts at several points of this adventure… but God has shown such amazing faithfulness through it all. He has surrounded me with great new friends; those that I work with and others via the blog-world and through twitter… I’m nothing short of amazed at my new life.
What has your last year been like?